Did you know that it’s possible to predict how long and how well you will live by the amount of wholefoods and vegetables you eat? Simply put, the more vegetables you eat today, the better your life will be tomorrow.
If this all seems like a bit of a big ask, then here is a great recipe to the rescue. Full of delicious plant based foods, this dish is packed with protein, good fats and micro nutrients. Deliciously spiced with the warming flavours of cumin, coriander and chilli this wonderful warm salad works well on its own or as an accompaniment to grilled meat or fish. (It’s also a stunning buffet dish if you are entertaining!)
- 100g raw weight lentils
- 100g fresh or frozen broad beans
- 100g butternut squash or pumpkin
- 2 chopped spring onions
- 8 diced cherry tomatoes
- 1 large handful roughly chopped coriander
- 1 tablespoon chopped chilli
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 clove garlic
- juice of one lemon
- Quarter cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook lentils in salted water until tender
- Cut squash in cubes, add salt, pepper and a little olive oil and roast in oven until soft and slightly caramelised (approx 20 mins).
- Boil broad beans in salted water
- Chop the spring onions, coriander and chilies and combine with cooked lentils, beans and squash
- Make the dressing: Put small amount of oil in a saucepan and cook the finely grated garlic and cumin. Take off the heat. Add rest of oil and lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste
Serve with a large green salad or as an accompaniment to grilled meat or fish.